vrijdag 15 juli 2011

Arrived in Dubai


After the hectic days of wrapping days, I said goodbye to my dearest friends, my fantastic housekeeper, our lovely gardener, the guy at the gate.
Onno spend his final week with his friends: sleep over, farewell party, waterpark, chillin' with his friends. He was exhausted but happy. Noelle went to school on the final day and came back with more luggage like yearbooks (5 kg each) and unfinished homework and projects...
Thijs, already in Dubai, processed the paperwork for the boat tickets to cross the Persian Gulf on Sunday.

At exactly 13:00, I was picked up by a driver so he could return the company car that I have used the last two weeks to the office after dropping me off at the airport. I insisted on driving the car myself and the driver took the passenger seat next to me, probably feeling a bit awkward...

















I logged in twitter at the airport and started saying goodbye to Bahrain, while waiting for boarding. I wished I had more time, as there was so many people I wanted to thank.

This is what 15 year old boys do in the middle of the day...











The flight with Gulf Air was painless and without to much delays.
Onno took a nap while take off and Noelle and me hugged each other and cried while Bahrain disappeared under our wings.
"Let's go home!" she said, while she wiped her tears...

The waiting line at Dubai Airport (advertising to be the best Airport in the Middle East !?) was too long. It was obvious that in some countries some people are still more equal than others and it became an exercise in patience again...
I would vote for Bahrain to be the most efficient airport in the Middle East: my record of touch down to driving out of the parking lot is 20 minutes! No airport will ever beat this.

Finally, we're in Dubai. Our car looks cool with the protective layer on the front and I got seriously worried when we loaded only our part of the luggage in the trunk. We're faced with our next challenge: how to organize our amount of luggage?

Step 1: unpack
Step 2: observe the pile you created
Step 3: Don't panic
Step 4: re-organize
Step: 5: be proud when succeeded!

  • We now have half a suitcase with stuff that should have been in the container loaded a week ago...
  • One suitcase specially for Iran with no shorts for Thijs en Onno and long shirts and headscarfs for me and Noelle.
  • One suitcase with camping gear (as soon as we hit Europe, we will be putting up our tents!)
  • two crates of chargers, nic-nacs, books, medication, emergency stuff, chargers, gadgets.
  • Jerrycan with water
  • Airbeds, tents, sleeping bags, pillows,
  • Too many shoes
  • Travel Guides (half a dozen Lonely Planet and Rough Guides)
  • a HUGE folder with all the paperwork needed to make such a trip...
I know it'l fit, but how?????

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten